Creative Lives affirms that each child is innately good, with a unique potential for learning, contribution and fulfillment. It is our mission and vision to help young people thrive, develop their character and reach this potential as adults -- by attending to the development of their minds, the health of their bodies and environment, and nurturing their inner lives and creativity.
What We Have Accomplished
Creative Lives develops tools, practices and curriculum that promote a holistic approach to education and offers services and supporting products for educators, parents, and youth:
Creative Lives Afterschool Program at White River School (CLASP)
Our afterschool enrichment program uses a lab site approach to apply Ellen Tadd’s “Framework for Wise Education” -- providing education that includes character development, physical activity, enrichment opportunities and academic support. More than 400 students and family members have been served to date as we have:
- Established a community garden and outdoor classroom.
- Enlisted the help of dozens of volunteers and community partners.
- Trained over 40 staff members and interns.
- 100% of regular attendees in our afterschool programs are able to use Framework-based tools and strategies to help them improve their focus skills and discernment. With the diagnosis of “ ADD/ADHD” so prevalent in young children, this is significant.
- We are expanding to open a summer learning program in White River Junction and a new afterschool and summer learning site in Barre City, Vermont in 2018 where more than 900 students k-8 are attending. At Barre City Elementary and Middle School 74% of students qualify for free and reduced lunch.
- CLASP has been recognized in the Vermont Step Ahead Recognition System for excellence in childcare.
We have taught more than 262 children Framework-based meditation and life skills in our pilot workshops at local schools and conferences and in our afterschool lab.
Workshops and Courses for Educators
Creative Lives has offered programs in the Upper Valley of Vermont and New England introducing A Framework for Wise Education to more than 280 teachers, and community leaders.
Adventures in Teaching and Parenting
In 2016 we introduced "Adventures in Parenting: Addressing Root Causes of ADD/ADHD with our partner, The Family Place, in Norwich, Vermont.